Frequently Asked Questions
- warning Unable to load odbcji32.dll
- How do I enter the "License Key" to unlock the Test Version?
- I want to download the latest version
- My license key is not working with the latest version
- I want to download a previous version
- How to define "Column Names" and "Data Types" in MS Excel
- Settings > Folder > Data Folder > Change Folder
- "Error: Cannot open ODBC" when using a target database/sheet inside a Dropbox folder
- How can I exclude the timestamp from "Order: abcd 2016-02-01"
- The program does not start any longer
- Security and SQL Injections
- Target Column Type: Date and Time
- Target Column Type: Numerical Values and Currencies
- Target Column Type: Integer
- warning MS Excel: The program says "x messages processed" but I cannot find the records in Excel
- How to transfer all program settings and the program database to a new computer
- Error Message "No Source Fields defined ... Nothing to do here"
- Error Message "No Account selected"
- Error Message "No Table selected"
- I have selected an "ODBC Connection" as "Connection Target", but no "Tables" will be shown
- How to store large text fields (>255chars) in an Excel sheet?
- warning ERROR: ExecuteSQL failed: E: String data, right truncated SQL: INSERT ...
- warning I am using a Gmail account and the program does not process any message
- How to extract and save the complete message text
- How to restart from scratch
- How can I enter one of the header fields, e.g. the sender email address to my database?
Related Knowledge Base Articles
comment How do I enter the "License Key" to unlock the Test Version?
Click on "Settings" and "Enter License Key" after you purchased a license.
Enter your license key and click on "Validate".
The license key has the format: AIDBXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX
comment How to define "Column Names" and "Data Types" in MS Excel
Using an MS Excel sheet as "Connection Target" requires two steps:
- Define the "Column Names" (field names) by
typing in the names in the first row.
Samples: Address1, Address2, First_Name, Last_Name, Name, FirstName, LastName
Important: Don't use spaces, commas, ", ', ... in the column name!
- Add a sample row (record) and define the field
types by formatting the cell(s), e.g. data type "Date", "Integer", etc.
MS Excel auto detects the correct data type in most cases. Make sure, that you add a complete sample row including all cells.
If you don't add a sample line all data types will be defaulted to 255 chars.
Add more than 255 chars in the sample cell for large text fields.
The MS Excel sheet should look like this:
The first row contains the "Column Names", e.g. Name, Email, Date, Total and the second row contains a sample record with the data type definition (use the Excel format cell functions). Format each cell which should not be text, e.g. "07.11.2014" as "Date" and "199" as "Number"
If you don't add a sample row, then all columns will be treated as text with max. 255 chars!
comment Settings > Folder > Data Folder > Change Folder
Important: Changing the data folder using Folder > Data Folder > Change Folder creates a new blank program database. This equals a restart from scratch. The new program database will NOT contain data connections or information about processed messages from the previous data folder. All messages in the inbox will be processed again!
If you want keep the data connections (and information about processed messages) copy the data folder before changing the folder in the program:
- Locate the current data folder
- Exit the program (make sure it's not running in tray-mode!)
- Copy the current data folder to the new location
- Start the program and change the data folder to the new location
- Optional: delete the old data folder if you are sure you don't need it anymore
comment "Error: Cannot open ODBC" when using a target database/sheet inside a Dropbox folder
The ODBC driver cannot update the database or sheet because the Dropbox
client has locked the file during the Dropbox synchronization.
Please disable/end the Dropbox client when running the program or move the target database/sheet out of the Dropbox folder.
comment How can I exclude the timestamp from "Order: abcd 2016-02-01"
To extract "abcd" in:
Order: abcd 2016-02-01
- Source Field incl. Separator: Order:[SPACE]
- Source End Marker: [SPACE]
(type in "[SPACE]" - don't use the space button)
comment Security and SQL Injections
Arclab Inbox2DB adds values from an email into a database, which means that you cannot rely on the input data, e.g. someone could send a manipulated SQL statement. The program uses “bind parameter” to avoid SQL injections, e.g. it uses:
SQLBindParameter to bind each parameter before calling:
INSERT INTO tablename (col1,col2,col3) VALUES (?,?,?);
instead of directly calling:
INSERT INTO tablename (col1,col2,col3) VALUES ('abc', 'abc', 'abc');
This ensures, that no manipulated SQL statement could be used for SQL injections. If you access the database values using a third-party application or script, then you should do the same or filter the values before you run any SQL call containing one of the values.
Read more about SQL Injections: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection
comment Target Column Type: Date and Time
The program accepts a date in the formats:
The program accepts a time in the formats:
The program accepts a timestamp (a timestamp contains the date and time) in the formats:
- MM/DD/YYYY HH:mm
- MM/DD/YYYY HH:mm:SS
- DD.MM.YYYY HH:mm
- DD.MM.YYYY HH:mm:SS
- YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm
- YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:SS
There must be a space between date and time!
Y = Year | M = Month | D = Day | H = Hour | m = Minute | S = Second
comment Target Column Type: Numerical Values and Currencies
1,000,000.00 = 1000000.00
1.000.000,00 = 1000000.00
1.00 = 1 (1.00)
1,00 = 1 (1.00)
1,000 = 1 (1.000) (!)
1.000 = 1 (1.000) (!)
Abc123 = 123
1.35 $ = 1.35
1,99 € = 1.99
Abc = 0
comment Target Column Type: Integer
1,000,000.00 = 1000000
1.000.000,00 = 1000000
1.00 = 1
1,00 = 1
1,000 = 1 (!)
1.000 = 1 (!)
Abc123 = 123
1.35 $ = 1 (!)
1,99 € = 1 (!)
Abc = 0
comment MS Excel: The program says "x messages processed" but I cannot find the records in Excel
This happens quite often when people have used the excel sheet before.
Please scroll down and search for the records. There are empty rows before the record.
The program adds the new records after the last "used" row/line in the excel sheet. If you have e.g. deleted the cell contents, but not the whole row in Excel, then you will get empty lines/rows. You can fix this easily by selecting the empty lines, right-click and remove the whole rows (not just the content).
comment How to transfer all program settings and the program database to a new computer
- Install Inbox2DB on the new computer and run it once.
Don't create a new data connection!
- Exit the program on the new computer.
- Start the computer on the old machine and locate the "Data-Folder"
If you cannot start Inbox2DB on the old computer:
The default location of the "Data-Folder" is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Arclab Inbox2DB\
Please make sure, you have not changed the "Data-Folder" to a custom location:
The "last modified" date of program database file "inbox2db.accdb" should reflect your last use.
If you cannot locate the custom "Data-Folder" location: search for "inbox2db.accdb" on your computer.
- Exit the program on the old computer.
- Now copy/replace the "Data-Folder" on the new computer with the
files from the old computer.
- Run Inbox2DB on your new computer and enter your license key.
comment Error Message "No Source Fields defined ... Nothing to do here"
The program cannot synchronize the connection because you have not defined any source fields.
Please edit the "Connection" and define source fields using "Edit Relationship".
See: Edit Column Relationship: Define Source Fields and Values in the Sample Message
comment Error Message "No Account selected"
The program cannot synchronize the connection because you have not specified the source (email) account.
Please edit the "Connection" and select the source account for the connection.
See also: Data Connections - Source (Email) Account
comment Error Message "No Table selected"
The program cannot synchronize the connection because you have not specified the target database table or sheet.
Please edit the "Connection" and select the data connection target.
See also: Data Connection Target (Target Database)
comment I have selected an "ODBC Connection" as "Connection Target", but no "Tables" will be shown
Please check the following issues:
- No "Database" was selected in the ODBC connection configuration.
Edit the ODBC/DSN connection (or create a new ODBC DSN) and select a "Database" in the configuration.
See also: How to use a MySQL Database as Connection Target
- The database does not contain any tables.
Create a database table.
- The specified user has no permissions to access/view the
Check the database/table permissions of the database.
comment How to store large text fields (>255chars) in an Excel sheet?"
Insert a sample line (below the field names) to the sheet and add more than 255 chars in the sample cell for large text fields.
comment ERROR: ExecuteSQL failed: E: String data, right truncated SQL: INSERT ...
The error "ExecuteSQL failed: E: String data, right truncated..." is shown if the char or text field in the target database is too small and the program cannot insert the (long) string extracted from your email into the (small) target database field.
Solution: Edit the target database structure and change the field length (or field type) to the needed size.
comment I am using a Gmail account and the program does not process any message
Google blocks (by default) third-party mail
clients like e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird or Inbox2DB.
Google calls third-party applications "less secure".
This means you can only access the Gmail account from the Gmail web interface or using a Google application unless you allow "less secure" apps.
Enable third-party mail clients in the Gmail account settings:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en for details.
The page contains a link to enable "Less secure apps" in MyAccount.
- You can also enable "Less secure apps" (third-party mail clients)
"MyAccount" > "Sign-in & security" > "Connected apps & sites" > "Allow less secure apps"
Now the program should be able to access messages on the Gmail account.
If the program was unable to load the sample message
before, you probably have not yet defined any source fields:
Edit the "Data Connection", scroll down to "Data Connection Settings" and click on "Edit Relationship" to define the source fields.
The source field selection is based on a sample message. See also: Edit Column Relationship
comment How to extract and save the complete message text
First you need to ensure that the target field in your database (field type) is large enough to store the complete message text.
Important: This function stores the extracted message
text (as shown in the preview).
Please take a look at "Email Source and File Attachments", if you want to save the complete (unmodified) message source instead.
The program adds FULL-MESSAGE-START at the start of
the message text and FULL-MESSAGE-END at the end.
This text can be used to select the complete (extracted) message text:
Source Field incl. Separator: FULL-MESSAGE-START
Source Value End Marker: FULL-MESSAGE-END
comment How to restart from scratch
Please follow the steps below if you want to restart using a blank installation.
Warning: This will permanently delete the connection
settings, information about processed messages and all log files!
The program will re-process all messages in the email account's inbox if you re-create the same connections!
- Locate the "Data Folder" in "Settings > Folder >
The default location is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Arclab Inbox2DB\
(If you want to use the same data connections later, use the "Export" function to export the connection settings)
- Make sure you have a copy of your license key!
Click on "Settings > Enter License Key" to view/copy the license
You need to unlock the software again after the restart.
- Exit the program completely. Make sure it's not running in the system
- Delete the complete "Data Folder", e.g. delete:
If you cannot delete the folder, the program is still running.
- Restart the program.
(import the connections and check the connection settings)
comment How can I enter one of the header fields, e.g. the sender email address to my database?
You can use all the header fields shown in the preview, e.g. use:
Source Field incl. Separator: Header-From-Address:
to select the sender "From Address" (email address).
To select e.g. the message "Subject" use:
Source Field incl. Separator: Header-Subject:
See also: Source Fields