Frequently Asked Questions
Arclab® Web Form Builder
question_answer F.A.Q. Index
- warning How to unlock the Free Version
- warning I added the code to the host page, but the form is not shown
- warning Error Message: "Error: PHP PEAR not installed!" or "Error: PHP PEAR::Mail not installed!"
- warning Error Code: E100 (PHPMAILFAIL)
- warning Error Code: E101 (SMTPFAIL)
- warning Other Error Codes (List of Error Codes)
- Where do I find the User Manual?
- Setup Error: "Setup files are corrupted"
- Can I edit the .php file in my HTML editor?
- (KB) Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent
- Error Message: PHP mbstring not enabled
- Additional backslashs in backslashs, quotes and apostrophes
- I want to create forms for my clients ... what license do I need?
- Does the script (form) work with php7 and php8?
- (KB) How to install the PEAR::Mail package (class) on XAMPP for Windows
- (KB) Enable php "intl" Extension on XAMPP for Windows (required for IDN e.g. "Umlaut" domains)
- Web Form Builder 3.x /4.x : How to format text in Label, Description and Error Messages
- Can I install Web Form Builder 3/4 and 5 (or newer) on the same computer?
- How to fix Microsoft .NET Framework error
- Error: Not a valid project file
- Does the form use any external resources?
- E.U. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance
- warning Missing line breaks in plain-text messages in MS Outlook
- Can I open the php file (form) directly in the browser?
- Can I open/edit the php file (form) in a HTML editor?
- Can I remove the default selection for a Radio Button Group?
- How to use the same Fonts and Colors as the Host Page
- warning The email is broken, the email source code is shown or the email contains an unreadable attachment
- How to insert the form when using Xara/Magix Web Designer
- The "Error Page" is displayed.
- The "Success Page" is displayed, but I do not receive an email.
- How can I insert the "Error Code" back into the "Error Page"?
- How to prevent users from submitting a form by hitting "Enter"
- Execute Custom php Code: How to use a dynamic Attachment File Name
- Execute Custom php Code: How to access the PNG Image of a Signature Field
comment How to unlock the Free Version
Please click on "Program Options", enter the license key and click on "Validate License":
comment Where do I find the User Manual?
comment Setup Error: "Setup files are corrupted"
Please clear your browser cache and retry to download the software.
It could be a transmission error over the net.
You can also use our alternate download (zip-compressed setup).
In some cases it also helps if you rename the newly download file, e.g. to awebform2.exe.
If you get this error message for every application you try to install, then the windows installer on your computer might be damaged.
comment Can I edit the .php file in my HTML editor?
No, the .php file cannot be edited in a HTML editor!
Please open the project file (*.awfb) in Web Form Builder, make the changes
and click on "Build Web Form" to re-create the form.
Don't forget the upload the newly created php file to your website!
comment Error Message: PHP mbstring not enabled
This means the php extension "mbstring" is not enabled on your web server.
This cannot be fixed in the form - it's a configuration issue on the web server (php installation).
It should be possible to enable the extension in the web server config
or in the php.ini file.
Please contact your web administrator if you are unsure how to enable it.
comment Additional backslashs in backslashs, quotes and apostrophes
If you find additional backslashs on backslashs, quotes and apostrophes
then magic_quotes might be turned on.
magic_quotes are DEPRECATED and should no longer been used.
Please disable magic_quotes in your PHP configuration to fix this issue.
Please take a look at the php.net manual for details.
comment I want to create forms for my clients ... what license do I need?
The "Developer Edition" is required if you want to create forms for a
See also: Version Comparison
comment Does the script (form) work with php7 and php8?
Yes, it works with php5.3.2++, php7++ and php8++.
comment Web Form Builder 3.x / 4.x : How to format text in Label, Description and Error Messages
The text format options below are ONLY for previous
versions of Web Form Builder (3.x and 4.x) !
Web Form Builder 5 (or newer) either allows HTML format or contains an option to change the style.
You can update to the latest version here.
Select your region and scroll down to "Updates" on the next page (Updates are 50% discounted).
Description, Label and Error Text will not accept
HTML code, HTML entities like e.g. < will be transfered into >
Please use the following format instead:
|Line break||[BR]||Hello world![BR]Some text|
|Text color||[COLOR:color]Hello world[/COLOR]
(Color as HEX or HTML color)
|Text size||[SIZE:size]Hello world[/SIZE]
(Size in pixel (px) or point (pt))
|Heading 1||[H1]Text[/H1]||[H1]Hello World[/H1]|
|Heading 2||[H2]Text[/H2]||[H2]Hello World[/H2]|
|Heading 3||[H3]Text[/H3]||[H3]Hello World[/H3]|
|Heading 4||[H4]Text[/H4]||[H4]Hello World[/H4]|
|Heading 5||[H5]Text[/H5]||[H5]Hello World[/H5]|
|Link opened in NEW window||[LINK:url]Anchor[/LINK]||[LINK:http://www.arclab.com]Click here to open[/LINK]
The link will be opened in a new window! The user will not leave the form!
|Link opened in SAME window||[LINKSAME:url]Anchor[/LINKSAME]||[LINKSAME:http://www.arclab.com]Click here to open[/LINKSAME]
The link will be opened in the same window. This means the user leaves the form! You can use this type of link e.g. on the Success and Error Pages after the user has completed the form.
|Link opened in same window as TOP-frame||[LINKTOP:url]Anchor[/LINKTOP]||[LINKTOP:http://www.arclab.com]Click here to open[/LINKTOP]
Use LINKTOP to open a link as new page in the current browser window when using an iframe or frames.
You can use this type of link e.g. on the Success and Error Pages after the user has completed the form.
comment Can I install Web Form Builder 3/4 and 5 (or newer) on the same computer?
Yes. The new version will be installed into a different folder.
The folder name is "Web Form Builder 5".
comment How to fix Microsoft .NET Framework error
Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 (or newer)
comment Error: Not a valid project file
The project file for Arclab Web Form Builder 5 has the extension .awfb.
You will get the error "Not a valid project file" when you try to open a file which is not a project file created with Web Form Builder 5.
Please note: You cannot open projects created with Web Form Builder 4 (or older). If you want to make changes to a form created with Web Form Builder 4, then you need to run Web Form Builder 4 instead. (You can install version 4 and 5 on the same computer!).
comment I added the code to the host page, but the form is not shown
- If the form is not displayed, please first check whether the form
has been uploaded to the website.
To do this, open the uploaded form file directly in your browser.
If you get a 404 "Page not found" error message when opening the web page in your browser, the file was either not uploaded at all or was uploaded to a different folder. If you use a CMS system, we recommend uploading the form file to the root folder.
The website must allow server-side scripts (php) to run.
If you see the php source code, contact your web administrator or provider to enable php.
- You cannot open the php file on your local computer, because php
is a scripting language, executed on the server.
- Next, check that you have correctly inserted the code into the host
page. Make sure, that filename/path of the php (form)
file is corrrect.
- If you use a CMS system like Wordpress, Joomla, Typo3 or Drupal,
make sure that you are logged in as "Administrator".
Restricted users are not allowed to insert custom code/scripts, so they can not insert the form.
error_outline If you are using an <iframe> and the form is not shown within the iframe
- First, make sure that the form is shown when you open it directly.
- A website can be configured so that iframes are completely forbidden
(DENY) or only allowed if the form is on the same domain (SAMEORIGIN).
This is to prevent the content of your website from being displayed
within a third-party website.
- If an iframe is only allowed if the host page and the form are on
the same website or domain, the form may not be shown in the preview
of your editor. Simply upload the host page and the form file to your
website and it should work fine.
- If the use of iframes on your website is completely prohibited,
you can e.g. create a new directory for which these restrictions do
not apply and upload the form (php) file to this directory. You can
achieve this relatively easily by relaxing the restrictions in an additional
".htaccess" (Apache) file in the new directory. Having a separate directory
with relaxed restrictions has the great advantage that the rest of your
website is not affected. Please contact your web administrator if you
cannot make the required settings yourself.
- Of course, you can also integrate the form directly into a web page without using an iframe.
comment Does the form use any external resources?
- The form uses the "Material Icons" from Google.
New in version 5.0.4: The icon font is integrated into the php file.
This means that the font does not need to be downloaded from the Google server, nor does it have to be hosted locally.
Everything needed is in the php file created by the program.
- If you use Google reCaptcha, the Google reCaptcha library
will be used:
The program also includes an alternate, internal Captcha which does not require or use external resources.
comment Error: PHP PEAR not installed! or Error: PHP PEAR::Mail not installed!
comment Missing line breaks in plain-text messages in MS Outlook
The line-breaks are not missing in the email, Outlook removes them because
the "Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages" option is enabled
Outlook > File > Options > Mail (this option is enabled by default in Outlook). It appears that this occurs with lines that contain more than 40 characters. For this reason it often looks like an error in the email, but this is not the case.
- You can show the original message in Outlook by
"We removed extra line breaks from this message" (below To:) and select "Restore line breaks".
- You can permanently disable "Remove extra line breaks in plain text
messages" in Outlook under File > Options > Mail.
See also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/287816/line-breaks-are-removed-in-posts-made-in-plain-text-format-in-outlook
- There are also some "tricks" which might work for custom plain-text
- Add 3 spaces at the end of the line (or)
- Add 2 spaces of the beginning of the line
comment Can I open the php file (form) directly in the browser?
Yes, the form can also be displayed without being integrated into a host
page. To do this, you can upload the php file created by the program to
your web server and open the uploaded php file in the browser. The script
recognizes whether it is opened directly in the browser or integrated into
on how it is invoked or included.
Please note, php files are script files that have to
be executed on the web server.
So you can not simply open the form on your computer like an HTML file. Upload the php file to your web server instead.
comment Can I open/edit the php file (form) in a HTML editor?
No, you cannot edit the form in a HTML editor.
Please use the program to make the changes and click on "Build Web Form" again to re-create the form.
comment Can I remove the default selection for a Radio Button Group?
Yes, simply remove the checked state of the item.
Important: Each item must have a value, otherwise the default value (empty) matches the item and the item will be checked.
Older versions (< 5.0.16): Yes, add a
new item, remove the item "Value", set the item "Width" to 0 (or 0%) and
move the item to the bottom of the item list.
Important: Move the item to the bottom of the item list, otherwise the "required" validation (if any) would fail.
comment The "Success Page" is displayed, but I do not receive an email.
- Please first check whether you have entered the correct email address
See also: Email Type and Recipient
- Next, check whether the message may have been moved to the spam
- If you have used the internal send function of the web server "php
Mail", please check whether the sender belongs to the domain of your
website. If you have used a Freemail email address here, the email may
be blocked because your web server is not authorized to send emails
on behalf of the Freemail domain.
See also: Server and Account
- It's also possible that the SPF record ("TXT" record in the DNS)
does not include the web server!
This can happen if the mail server and the web server use different hostnames.
If you cannot fix it, either contact your web administrator or use "SMTP Server" instead of "php Mail".
See also: Server and Account
- Some webhosting providers might also have simply turned off php
mail without returning an error to the php mail function.
In this case simply switch to "SMTP Server" to send the email using SMTP instead of php mail.
See also: Server and Account
comment How can I insert the "Error Code" back into the "Error Page"?
To do this, switch to the "Error Page" and insert the "Form Elements >
Custom HTML Code" form element at any position.
Copy and paste the following code into the "Custom HTML Code" form element:
Error Code: <span id="awfb-errrorcode">?</span>
The content of the area <span id="awfb-errrorcode"> is automatically replaced by the respective error code when the "Error Page" is displayed in the browser.
comment How to prevent users from submitting a form by hitting "Enter"
Add the form element: "Form Elements" > "Output Elements" > "Custom
HTML Code" (above the "Submit" or "Next Page" button) to the form page.
Copy and paste the following code into the "Custom HTML Code" form element:
<button type="submit" disabled style="display:none;" aria-hidden="true"></button>
Now when the user hits "Enter" the default (first in order) submit button
will be "pressed".
Since this button is disabled nothing happens when the user hits "Enter".